As a healthcare innovation and services strategist, Justin is a corporate, board and public policy advisor. In addition, he’s Chairman Emeritus of the HIMSS EHR Association and Co-Chairman of the Accountable Care Community of Practice where he assists these organizations with industry strategy, collaboration and leadership. Mr. Barnes is also the host of healthcare’s most popular weekly syndicated radio show “This Just In” that airs on Healthcare Radio and Business Radio X. He’s also the voice of HIMSS Radio.
Barnes previously was a member of the leadership and growth teams at Greenway Health where he worked for 11 years primarily serving as Vice President of Marketing, Corporate Development, Business Development, Government Relations and International Affairs.
In addition, Barnes was a member of the founding team and Vice President of the patient-provider communications and engagement company, Healinx Corporation. Today, Healinx is known as the RelayHealth Division of McKesson. Before joining Healinx, Barnes held several National Operations positions with HBO and Company that subsequently merged with McKesson in 1999.
Justin has formally addressed and/or testified before Congress as well as the last three Presidential Administrations on more than twenty occasions with statements relating to alternative payment and care delivery models, MACRA, the Quality Payment Programs, value-based reimbursement, interoperability, EHR meaningful use, consumerism, health IT innovation, health information exchange, patient engagement, quality, HIPAA and the globalization of healthcare. Barnes is a regular public speaker on these issues and has appeared in more than 2,000 journals, magazines and broadcast media outlets relating to national leadership of healthcare and health IT. In addition, Barnes has advised several U.S. Presidential campaigns on healthcare public policy, HIPAA, health information exchange, health IT and EHRs.
Barnes majored in Legal Studies and holds a BA and BS from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He holds a Certificate of Diagnostics from Emory’s School of Medicine and is also a HIMSS Fellow. Justin proudly served Rotary International as a Board Member and Chairman of Public Relations for the Amherst Rotary Club. He’s also a veteran, having served in the United States Army within Infantry (11B) and Communication (31M) Units.
Elected and Appointed Governance Positions
- Chairman Emeritus and co-Founder of the HIMSS EHR Association
- Co-Founder and Director, Mobile Health Consortium
- Co-Chairman and co-Founder, Accountable Care Community of Practice (AC CoP)
- Board Member, The Sequoia Project
- Co-Founder, Sequoia Project’s Carequality
- Board Member and co-Founder, CommonWell Health Alliance
- Board Member, Bipartisan Policy Center Task Force on Delivery System Reform and Health IT
- Board Member, Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE-USA)
- Co-Chairman, Metro Atlanta Chamber (MAC) Bioscience Leadership Council (BLC)
- Fellow, Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Board Member, Texas Health Institute (THI)
- Board Member and co-Founder, ONC Regional Extension Center (REC) Community of Practice (EHR Adoption CoP)
- Board Member of the HLC Confidentiality Coalition Steering Committee
- Board Member, National Science Foundation (NSF) Body of Knowledge Advisory Board
- Chairman, Membership Committee of EHR Association
- Board Member, Gwinnett Technical College HIT Advisory Board
- Co-Chairman, Government Relations, National Health IT Week
- Member of National Governors Association (NGA) Health Information Protection Task Force of the State Alliance for E-Health
- Member of EHR Association Government Relations Work Group
- Member of HIMSS Government Relations Roundtable
- Member of Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology (CCHIT) Privacy Expert Panel